Rare Antique Charles Rossignol CR France Tinplate Mechanical Autobus Toy #977 8″
- Very Cool and Very Uncommon Autobus Mecanique by Charles Rossignol
- Mix of Lithographed and hand-painted tinplate, this bus is a real looker.
- Front driver is intact, and down the sides of the Parisian bus reads “Opera, Porte, St Martin, Republique, Filles-du-Gaivaire, BASTILLE”
- Just behind the front fenders the bus is marked “977”
- The Radiator and the area just above the driver are marked with “CR” and ” FRANCE depose”.
- Bus features a windup clockwork motor on the rear wheels, coupled with a lead flyweight that is reminiscent of their turn of the century penny toys
- the ORIGINAL BOX, which is quite rare, features a litho’d artwork panel on the lid of the bus traveling on the street, with a small child waving as it passes by.
- One side panel of the box has the original C.R. Stock Tag, stamped No. 977
- Bus measures approx. 8″ Long
- This will definitely not last! Bid with confidence and add this amazing piece to your collection!
For those piqued by history: CR (1868-1962) was one of the most successful toy manufacturers in French, as well as world, history. Founded by Charles Rossignol in 1868, then run by his Son from 1888 on. The company shut its doors in 1962. They produced some amazing tin toys, ranging from trains, motor cars, busses, planes, robots, boats, and more! Chrles Rossignol is also credited with being the creator of the tab and slot assembly method for tin toys, which was eventually adopted by toymakers worldwide.